Elmwood Avenue Presbyterian Church
111 Elmwood Avenue, London
After several months of worship at home, we believe we are able to safely offer worship in the sanctuary for those who wish to attend. A small reopening group has worked diligently creating a plan to ensure the safety of everyone who attends services at Elmwood. There will be changes to our usual routine which we hope will restrict the spread of COVID-19 as the safety of all is of the utmost importance. Those who wish to continue at home worship will still be able to access materials through the church website or through email.
Guidelines For In Person Worship
- Two services will be offered each Sunday to reduce the number of people in the sanctuary at any one time. This will make it easier to maintain appropriate personal distancing and to stay well within the mandated 30% of capacity.
- Services will begin September 20 at 9:00 am and 10:30 am andcontinue each Sunday until further notice.
- Elmwood members and adherents will be asked to RSVP so that we can plan for the number of people attending. An email will be sent out prior to reopening and again twice monthly. Simply reply to the emails promptly with your response. Those without email will be phoned directly. Note: Visitors are always welcome and if at any time your plans change, please come to church even without an RSVP.
- Please worship at home if you are unwell or have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Upon arrival, please proceed to the main doors at the front of the church (facing Elmwood Ave). Observe the marks on the sidewalk for personal distancing prior to entry.
- Ushers will seat the congregation to maintain personal distancing. A general seating plan has been developed with only alternate rows used. Only family members should sit together with six feet between individuals or family groups. Please remain seated throughout the service.
- Bulletins will be placed in available seats by gloved hands before the services. At the end of the service please take the bulletins to a recycle bin at the exits or take them home.
- All service books and seat cushions have been removed from the sanctuary. If you require a seat cushion, bring one from home and take it home with you.
- Masks are to be worn by all. Members are asked to bring their own but disposable masks will be available at the door.
- Sanctuary fans will remain off during the service.
- There will be no choir or congregational singing. Our new organist, Angus Sinclair, will arrange for special music including vocal and instrumental soloists. The soloists will perform at an increased distance from all in the sanctuary.
- Signs have already been posted to remind those attending that only the sanctuary and the washroom area will be open for use.
- Only the accessible washroom will be open to facilitate cleaning. Sanitary wipes are in place so that those using the washroom can help with cleaning.
- Offering will be collected at the exits of the church after the service.
- As always, in the event of any medical emergency, please remain in your seats and let the ushers deal with the situation safely.
- At the end of the service, the congregation is asked to exit immediately as directed by the ushers starting at the back of the sanctuary maintaining personal distancing.
- Between services, the ushers will quickly sanitize any hi-touch areas.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to have coffee hour after the service. We ask that personal distancing be continued in the parking lot and on the lawn at the front of the church.
We look forward to seeing those who are able to attend in person and to remaining in contact with all others through emails and phone calls.